The first of 44 Feyenoord football fans who face charges following riots in Rome earlier this year have appeared in court in Rotterdam.
One of the four who faced judges on Friday should be jailed for five months and three others should get 200-hour community service sentences for their role in the riots, the public prosecution department said.
The public prosecutor also said all four should be banned from Feyenoord’s football stadium and surrounding area on match days.
In total, five days have been earmarked to hear the cases against the fans, who range in age from 17 to 41. They were identified from video and phone footage and have been charged with various offences in connection with the riots.
However, none will be charged with damaging the Barcaccia fountain because of a lack of evidence and camera footage, news agency ANP said earlier this year. Experts said at the time it had been hit by over 100 beer bottles and put the damage at over €1m.
One 21-year-old man from Zierikzee is also charged with attempted murder. He is suspected of having thrown fireworks at a police officer and will appear in court next Tuesday.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation