Three people suspected of defrauding the personal care budget of at least €2m were arrested on Tuesday afternoon.
Because the investigation is on-going, the amount stolen may well rise, the public prosecution office said.
Inspectors from the ministry of social affairs also searched ten houses and company premises in Rotterdam, Schiedam and Roosendaal. Four cars plus weapons and ammunition were seized, website nu.nl reports.
‘The investigation is into three care agencies,’ the public prosecution office said. They are suspected of having claimed for more hours than they worked.
A new system for administering the personal care budget (pgb) was introduced in January. To avoid fraud, payments are no longer made to the patient. Carers are now paid by the social insurance bank SVB but the system has proved chaotic, with carers receiving payment too late or not at all.
Those caught up in the chaos are lining up to join a class action legal case set up online last month. So far, 2,800 carers have applied to join.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation