An Amsterdam teenager who left to become a jihadi in Syria in December 2013 at the age of 16 has been killed, broadcaster Nos reports.
The youth, named as Achraf, died on Saturday in an American bombardment and his body has been identified by family members from photos.
Achraf’s father Farid told the broadcaster he feared he would never see his son alive again. The youth became radicalised and even though his father warned the authorities about his son and banned him from the internet, the boy was able to leave the country via Schiphol airport.
‘The police told us to go to the council. The council wanted to wait for a police investigation before they would take action,’ Farid told local broadcaster AT5 at the time.
Father and son had contact via Facebook last April when the boy was in Turkey close to the Syria border and kept in sporadic contact since then.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation