DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 17 August 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Dutch want ‘verifiable and transparent’ figures to check €642m surcharge

October 28, 2014

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

Jeroen DijsselbloemFinance minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem said on Tuesday he wants the European Commission to make public all the figures used to calculate surcharges and rebates for European member states.

The minister told MPs he can only assess whether the Dutch surcharge of €642m is reasonable when all the facts are on the table.

The surcharge is based on a recalculation of Dutch economic figures going back years. The minister said he did not doubt the way the national statistics office CBS had come up with the figures, but that he wanted to know what other countries have done.

‘To this day, we have no insight into the way the total has been divided up,’ he told MPs. ‘I want verifiable and transparent figures,’ website nu.nl quotes him as saying.

In addition, Dijsselbloem said the December 1 deadline for payment is too short.

Earlier this week, Dijsselbloem was quoted as saying the Netherlands will pay the surcharge if it proves to be justified. British prime minister David Cameron, faced with a €2.1bn bill, has already said he will not pay.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Uncategorized
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Hockey World Cup kicks off in Amstelveen with Dutch victory
Jetten condemns Star of David stickers at farmers’ protest
Jetten tells farmers to get off motorways after two die in crash
Fifth heatwave confirmed as temperatures reach 37°
Illegal gambling ads on Meta target vulnerable gamblers: BNR
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now