The two people killed in an explosion at a block of flats in Diemen near Amsterdam on Thursday afternoon have been identified and rescue workers are not looking for any further victims, Dutch media reported on Friday.
One of the victims is a 57-year-old woman who worked for the De Key housing corporation. The other is a 46-year-old man from the demolition company working in the apartment complex. A second worker for De Key was slightly wounded in the blast.
They were busy with preparatory work for the placement of a new glass lift shaft in the eight-storey complex.
The AD said on Friday that energy company Liander had been warned 20 minutes before the explosion that there was a gas leak. The work on the lift required moving several cables and pipes.
People from the 40 flats most affected by the blast are not being allowed home to collect possessions and it may be some time before they can return, the AD said.
Residents from the 60 other flats may be able to return later next week. They were allowed to collect clothing, pets and other items on Friday.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation