Riot police will not face charges over football clashes
The public prosecution department has decided not to take legal action against riot police officers who were involved in disturbances after a football match between Fortuna Sittard and MVV last year.
Trouble broke out after the game and bystanders were caught up in the police charges outside the stadium. Two 12-year-old girls were injured.
The local mayor, police chief and justice ministry launched an investigation into the riots after receiving 49 complaints and three formal protests. Police chief Gerry Veldhuis later said the riot police had not always behaved professionally and had used their batons to prod and hit people when it was not necessary, Nos television reported.
However, the public prosecutor said on Monday that violence is appropriate in certain circumstances and that the supporter in one of the three cases had resisted arrest.
A second case was dismissed because it could not be determined if the police had used excessive force and a third because the department did not have enough information.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation