How tall is the average Dutchman? How much does he earn and when does he become a father for the first time? The Volkskrant has been finding out.
The Dutch are fond of saying ‘be normal, that’s crazy enough’. But what makes up Mr and Mrs Average in the Netherlands? The Volkskrant has compiled a list of some of the most common statistics.
- Your body mass index is 25.8 – which means you are overweight
- You rate your personal happiness 7.6 out of 10
- Your favourite Dutch song is Boudewijn de Groot’s Avond
- Your favourite international hit is Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody
- You first become a mother at the age of 29, a father at the age of 32
- Your new babies are called Emma and Daan
- You throw 50 kilos of food away a year – that’s 14% of the food you buy in a year
- You think the Netherlands should remain a monarchy – like 87% of the population
- You are 1.68 metres tall if you are female and 1.81 metres tall if you are a man
- You drink 12 glasses of alcohol a week
- You have 5.5 hours a day of spare time
- You watch television for 3.25 hours a day
- You holiday in the Netherlands – like 2.5 million Dutch families
- If you go abroad, it is to France, with 1.4 million others
- Your surname is De Jong (followed by Jansen, de Vries, van/de/den/der Berg, van Dijk and Bakker)
- You will eat 522 animals during your life: 490 chickens, 27 pigs, three cows and 2.5 lambs – no mention of horse
- You give your sex life a score of 5.9 out of 10
- You think Zwartboek is the best Dutch film
- You think ordinary citizens should have more say over politics – that’s the view of 65%
- Your income is €33,000 a year.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation