It would have been impossible to stop Karst Tates driving his car into the crowd watching the royal family during this year’s Queen’s Day celebrations, the Volkskrant reports on Thursday, quoting an official report due to be published on Friday.
Nevertheless, sources told the paper the reports are set to recommend that security around informal royal visits should be tightened up, if this can be done without spoiling the open character of the Queen’s Day celebrations.
Seven people were killed in Apeldoorn when Tates drove his car through the crowd and into railings. He died of his injuries later, but told police immediately after the incident it had been a ‘deliberate act’. It has widely been assumed that Tates was planning to drive into the open-topped bus carrying queen Beatrix and other royals.
Three reports into the incident will be made public on Friday afternoon. One will try to assess Tate’s motives.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation