A 13-year-old girl who was locked up in a juvenile detention centre because there was no room for her in a care home has been released on a court order, the NRC reports on Wednesday.
The mother of Anouk Bolkenbaas had fought a two-month campaign to have the girl released, saying she had never been in trouble with the police. Anouk had been placed under court supervision after running away from home several times.
The paper says 518 other juveniles are being held in youth prisons because there is no where else to put them. But the practice was officially halted last month and new facilities to house 1,400 children should be completed by the end of next year, the paper says.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation