The US consulate in Frankfurt helped get the proper papers so 7-year-old schoolgirl Katja Leendertz could get into the US, her father Paul Leendertz says in an interview with Tuesday’s AD.
Leendertz, who has American nationality as does Katja, snatched the girl from outside her primary school in Ede last week, sparking a nationwide alert.
He claims his wife, who is Ukrainian, did not let him see the girl and he was frightened she would take her daughter back to Ukraine. The US courts had awarded him full custody, he claims.
After bundling his daughter into a car with his new wife, Leendertz drove to Germany, where the US consul in Frankfurt took photos of the girl and got the paperwork in order, he told the AD.
‘We were on the plane before the alert was issued,’ he said.
Katja is receiving psychiatric help and has spoken to her mother by phone, he says.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation