Terror suspects want apology
The seven people mistakenly arrested in connection with a suspected plot to bomb shops in Amsterdam’s Zuidoost district last week have asked police and justice ministry officials for an apology.
They understand that the police had to take the action they did but are upset at the way they have been treated since their release, Mohammed, the son of one of the former suspects, says in Tuesday’s Telegraaf.
He said their homes, which were searched by police and crime scene officers, have been turned upside down and that bank cards, computers, watches and passports have still not been returned.
‘A simple telephone call would have worked wonders,’ he told tv programme Nova.
Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen told tv show Pauw & Witterman he regretted that the family had heard nothing more from the police or justice ministry officials but said ‘no enormous mistakes had been made’.
Speaking on the Nova tv programme, Mohammed said that he had been played a tape recording of the tip-off phone call made by a woman speaking Dutch with a French accent to see if he recognised her voice.
The woman said three men were coming to Amsterdam from Spain in a minibus and would perhaps stay with one of the family members who was later arrested, he said.
Monday’s Parool said police are still trying to identify those three men and the woman who made the call.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation