Girls to get second call up for cancer jab
Health officials are to make a second appeal to teenage girls to get vaccinated against some types of cervical cancer because of the lower-than-expected take-up rate so far.
On Tuesday it emerged that just 60% of teenage girls eligible for the vaccination turned up for their injection in the first week of the programme. Officials had expected a 70% to 75% take-up rate.
And the government’s public health institute RIVM has accused an medical lobby group NVKP of spreading misleading information about the vaccine.
‘You are damaging women’s heath. I call on you to only give parents and girls information which is based on facts,’ RIVM virologist Roel Coutinho wrote in a letter to the lobby group on Tuesday.
The RIVM says the vaccine is totally safe and will prevent some 80% of cases of cervical cancer, which kills 100 or 200 women a year in the Netherlands (estimates vary).
The NVKP says the government is too optimistic about vaccine’s role in preventing cervical cancer. It also points out that the Netherlands has a very broad screening programme for all women aged over 30.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation