The government has no intention of phasing out multiple occupancy prison cells, despite criticism by a justice ministry advice group, junior justice minister Nebahat Albayrak said on Monday.
The minister said cells built for between two and six people are an acceptable form of detention as long as prisoners are properly screened before being placed in them.
Multiple-occupancy cells were introduced in 2004 when there was a looming shortage of cells. Now there is a surplus.
Earlier this year, the minister’s advisory council on sentencing said many prisoners feel unsafe in shared cells and are subjected to aggression and sexual intimidation.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation