Local authorities in the province of Extramadura in western Spain have issued an international alert for a group of 14 Dutch nationals who disappeard after six of them tested positive for coronavirus.
The group had been staying at a holiday home in the village of Navas del Madroño when one of them fell ill and tested positive at the local health centre on Wednesday. A further five then turned out to have the virus which meant, under Spanish rules, they would have to remain in quarantine at the house.
On Thursday local health authorities found the house abandoned.
Provincial health chief José Maria Vergeles said the international alert, which was broadcast on national television, had been issued because ‘these are not Spanish nationals and they have disappeared.’
‘This could pose a problem for public health, he told El Razon. ‘It is important that if they go to an airport officials there know they are infected.’ It is not known how the group travelled to Spain.
The mayor of Navas del Madroño Manuel Marón, who called the flight ‘surreal’, said the group had committed a ‘crime against public health’ and said the outbreak at the house had increased the number of Covid cases in the province.
Spain currently has one of the lowest incidences of Covid-19 in Europe.
If caught the group could face fines of up to €60,000.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.