DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 23 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

So far 62 coronavirus clusters have been traced to test for entry events

July 15, 2021
Photo: Depositphotos.com

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Photo: Depositphotos.com

So far at least 62 clusters of at least 20 coronavirus infections have been identified since restrictions on cafes, clubs and festivals were largely lifted two weeks ago, according to figures put together by public health institute RIVM.

Dozens more involving at least 10 people have also been highlighted and the number is still expected to increase, the RIVM document states.

The ‘test for entry’ system allows people to attend an event and ignore social distancing if they can show a QR code which says they have either been vaccinated, had a negative test within 40 hours, or recently had coronavirus.

That meant that people could get a code has soon as they had had a single vaccine dose, without waiting for the impact to kick in. Health minister Hugo de Jonge, who has since introduced a 14 day wait, originally justified the move by saying it would encourage more youngsters to be vaccinated.

The 40 hour limit for negative tests has also been reduced to 24, in line with official recommendations.

The biggest known cluster consists of 900 cases which can be traced back to the Verknipt festival in Utrecht. Others centre on the Aspen Valley café in Enschede, where 152 cases have been reported, and on student association events.

Clusters have been identified at seven of the 18 large events held between July 1 and July 9, most of which were outdoors. ‘Test for entry’ events were banned again from July 10 because of the surge in infections and widespread reports of fiddling.

Indeed, the RIVM document also highlights a number of problems with the test for entry system at the large events where clusters have been identified.

Checks

At one two-day event in Breda, where over 400 cases have been traced, the test for entry rules were not properly followed, the RIVM said. ‘QR codes were not properly checked and IDs were not checked either,’ the RIVM said. ‘People were pushed through at high speed and, according to one worker, staff were not tested.’

There were also problems at the village fair in Heiloo, where 102 cases have now been identified. Although the test for entry system was in use, ‘people were climbing over the fences’, the RIVM said.

The test for entry system is still in operation for seated events.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Uncategorized
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
Minister wants answers from councils with no refugee housing
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now