Monday 20 September 2021

Dutch start own investigation into Majorca holiday death

Spain has not yet filed a European arrest warrant for the eight Dutch men it suspects of causing the death of a 27-year-old man from Waddinxveen during an unprovoked attack on the island of Majorca last week.

All but one of  men, reportedly from the wealthy Gooi area south of Amsterdam, left the island in a hurry after the attack, which was captured on surveillance cameras. One, who remained to hand in the key to their rental villa, was arrested but has since been released after he was shown not to have been involved.

The reason why the European arrest warrant is slow in coming has to do with ‘Spanish bureaucracy’, Spanish correspondent Rob Zoutberg told broadcaster NOS.

The fact that the men left in haste after the event also complicated matters, he said, because it means the Guardia Civil has to issue a European warrant and that is a very precise process.

‘Every man in the video footage retrieved by police has to be identified separately and police have to describe exactly what they stand accused of and what their role has been in this. They can’t afford to make mistakes.’

The Dutch prosecution office has also started an investigation into the matter but has said the initiative lies with the Spanish judicial authorities.

Lawyer Bob Kaarls, who is an expert in Spanish court cases, said the decision of the Dutch prosecution office came as a surprise. ‘The case is a Spanish one, the Spanish are investigating and the identification of the suspects takes place there,’ NOS quotes him as saying.

He said the Dutch are not likely to ask Spain to take over the case. ‘Spain will put them on trial,’ he said, adding that the main suspects can expect ‘hefty sentences’ if found guilty.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.