DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 21 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Events can be organised from July as ministers set up cancellation fund

March 19, 2021
Photo: Depositphotos.com

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Major events are cancelled until further notice. Photo: Depositphotos.com

Event organisers can begin preparing for concerts, festivals, sports matches and congresses from July 1, the caretaker cabinet said on Friday.

Should the events have to be cancelled because of coronavirus measures, then the government will pay 80% of the costs as a gift and the rest as a loan, junior economic affairs minister Mona Keijzer told news website Nu.nl.

The regulation will cover events organised between July and the end of December, but will not apply to new events which are to be held for the first time. Nor will it apply to events which have not taken out cancellation insurance in the past.

‘Our events sector sets the international standard and we want to keep it that way,’ Keijzer said. ‘Organisers and public are longing for a concert, a festival, a football match.’

Health minister Hugo de Jonge said earlier this month that all adults in the Netherlands should have had at least once vaccination by July, if deliveries proceed according to plan.

Bill

Ministers said in January that the government was setting up a €300m guarantee fund for events, so that organisers can start preparing summer festivals and sports events without fearing they will be left to pick up the bill if coronavirus leads to cancellations. According to Nu.nl, the fund will actually be €385m.

The events sector had urged the government to set up a fund, saying insurance companies which normally cover events against cancellation have excluded  coronavirus from their policies.

Earlier this week, regional safety board chiefs also called for a June or July deadline. That may be a long way off but if vaccinations are well under way by then, then society can start opening up, board chairman Hubert Bruls said. ‘You cannot continue to ban everything, People need perspective.’

The government is due to announce if the coronavirus rules can be relaxed at a press conference on Tuesday.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Economy
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch leaders join outrage over Israeli treatment of activists
Refugees sleep outside as accommodation crisis worsens
More Dutch households are worrying about mortgage costs
A hot, sunny weekend ahead and there is more to come
Dutch archaeologist arrested for keeping "d'Artagnan's" bones
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now