Trade minister Sigrid Kaag has postponed a digital trade mission to Qatar because of concerns that thousands of workers have died building stadiums and accommodation for next year’s football World Cup, the AD reported on Tuesday.
The Guardian said last week that over 6,500 people from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have died during the construction process.
Last week, Dutch MPs voted in favour of a motion stating that the king and prime minister should not attend the World Cup if the Netherlands qualifies for next year’s tournament.
And both Kaag and ChristenUnie leader Gert-Jan Segers said afterwards that the Netherlands should consider boycotting or withdrawing from the tournament altogether.
The online mission was scheduled from March 22 to April 1 and would have focused on water, energy and the food sector. Online visits and exchanges with the UAE and Oman will go ahead as scheduled.
Ministers agreed after last week’s vote to first talk to Qatar about the figures. A new date for the mission, which was officially postponed on Friday, has not been set.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.