Friday 26 February 2021

School leaving exams will go ahead as planned: Telegraaf

This year’s school leaving exams will go ahead as planned, the Telegraaf has reported, citing sources close to the education ministry. Schools minister Arie Slob said earlier this month there would be clarity this week.

Plans are being drawn up to take coronavirus into account, and this may include allowing pupils to fail one more exam but still pass their certificate overall. The three week period during which the exams take place may also be extended.

The Financieele Dagblad reported last week that Wednesday that some teachers think up to 40% of pupils may fail because they have lost so many lessons during the coronavirus pandemic.

In a normal year, around 8% of pupils fail their finals.

Ministers confirmed last Tuesday that secondary schools will remain closed until March 2, after the winter half-term holidays. Currently they are open for pupils in their exam years and pupils taking practical subjects.

Slob has also said that schools, parents and teachers needed to accept that more of them would have to repeat a school year, or take catch-up courses over the summer.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.