The king and prime minister should not attend the World Cup in Qatar if the Netherlands qualifies for next year’s tournament, MPs have decided.
A motion by Socialist MP Sadet Karabulut was supported by the GroenLinks, Labour (PvdA) and D66 parties and passed by a majority of MPs.
Karabulut said the government should not be represented because of ‘appalling conditions’ for migrant workers building the stadiums, which have led to around 6,500 deaths.
The motion is not binding on the government and caretaker foreign affairs minister Stef Blok has said nations would do better to use the World Cup to ‘put further pressure’ on the Gulf state to improve conditions for workers.
ChristenUnie leader Gert-Jan Segers and his D66 counterpart Sigrid Kaag told NOS earlier this week that the Netherlands should consider boycotting or withdrawing from the tournament. ‘The ground that the stadiums are built on is drenched in blood,’ Segers said.
The Dutch will begin their qualifying campaign on March 24 against Turkey in Istanbul.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.