Tuesday 11 May 2021

High street chain NXT Fashion applies for court protection

The high street has been hard hit by the lockdown. Photo: DutchNews.nl

NXT Fashion, the company which took over fashion chains Miss Etam and Steps last year, has applied for court protection from creditors.

Owner Martijn Rozenbloom told the Telegraaf the main reason is the lockdown – which slashed income – and which was made worse when non-essential shops were closed in mid December.

In addition, he blames the state jobs agency UWV which has refused applications for income support (NOW) because NXT Fashion is effectively new. It took over the two chains, plus Expresso and Claudia Strater, when their owner FNG Group went bust last year.

Miss Etam and Steps have 44 branches and a workforce of 340. ‘This is really sad for the workers,’ Rosenboom said. ‘It was unnecessary but applying for court protection from creditors is now unavoidable.’

In a parallel move, unions and the NXT Fashion works council have applied to have the company declared bankrupt, because January’s wages were not paid.

Bankruptcy could mean the workers did get some of their missing wages, the AVV union said.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.