DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 24 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Ministers look into curfew option and further limits on home visits

January 14, 2021
A deserted shopping street. Photo: Dutch News

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
A deserted shopping street. Photo: DutchNews.nl

The cabinet has asked its special coronavirus advisory team to look into the option of bringing in a curfew in an effort to further cut down on contacts between people and so reduce the spread of the virus, particularly the new and highly infectious variant first identified in Britain.

Prime minister Mark Rutte urged MPs during Wednesday’s debate on the government’s coronavirus strategy not to block a curfew, should it be on the cards.

As yet, no details of what form a curfew could take have been made public, but the government’s counter terrorism agency NCTV said in December that it could operate from 8pm to 4am and that it would be an offence to be on the streets during that eight hour period without a valid reason.

Rutte said at Tuesday’s press conference that officials are looking into what additional measures could be taken if the number of positive coronavirus tests fails to reduce sufficiently.

Jaap van Dissel from the public health institute RIVM told MPs on Wednesday that one option would be to impose further limits on visitors, given that half the infections with a known source happen within a household and 36% derive from visits.

The cabinet currently recommends no more than two adult visitors in a 24 hour period.

Utrecht epidemiologist Patricia Bruijning told broadcaster NOS that she would like to see a system similar to Belgium, where visits are restricted to the same small, social bubble of people.

The infection rate per 100,000 people in Belgium in the last week of 2020 was four times lower than that in the Netherlands, she said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Uncategorized
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Ajax grab last European place with shoot-out win against Utrecht
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now