Saturday 06 June 2020

Zandvoort aldermen resign over road to the Formula 1 race track

Zaandvoort racing track from the air. Photo: Quistnix via Wikimedia Commons

The entire executive board at Zandvoort local council has now resigned in a row over an access road to the town’s racing circuit, which had hoped to stage a Formula 1 race earlier this month.

The new road cost the town €500,000 and councillors only agreed to the funding on condition it was only used in cases of emergency.

However, councillors later discovered the town’s executive board had given permission to use the road 50 times a year to access and leave the car park – which went against the earlier agreement.

After a number of councillors put forward a motion placing restrictions on the use of the road, the board resigned. ‘Given the events of the past week, we must conclude that there is no more [trust or room for negotiation],’ the aldermen said in a briefing to councillors.

Noord Holland provincial council had also advised the town council to restrict use of the road to F1 events and has now started legal action against the council because of road safety fears, local news website NH Nieuws said.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.