Dutch health officials have started an investigation after a German man from Selfkant, just over the Dutch border at Sittard, was diagnosed with coronavirus.
The man was in Limburg last week and officials now want to trace his movements and find out who came into contact with him.
The public health institute RIVM has not said where the man had been in Limburg but did say all contacts who are traced will be given a check-up. More details of the investigation are due later on Wednesday.
The man, 47, was taken ill with a lung infection and is now seriously ill in an isolation ward at a hospital in Dusseldorf.
Vanavond werd bekend dat een Duitse man positief testte op COVID-19. De man verbleef een week eerder in Limburg. De GGD is gestart met contactonderzoek. Mochten deze contacten klachten krijgen, dan worden zij geïsoleerd en getest. Morgen volgt een update. https://t.co/D3FZTtv03X pic.twitter.com/eYExaKz9n4
— RIVM (@rivm) February 25, 2020
According to local German media, he may have picked up the virus via a business colleague who had been in China. The man’s wife is also said to be suffering from coronavirus symptoms.
The RIVM also said that reports on social media that a man from Brabant had tested positive for the disease are false. There have so far been no confirmed cases in the Netherlands.
Meanwhile, 13 Dutch nationals remain in their hotel on the Spanish island of Tenerife where several Italian holidaymakers have been diagnosed with coronavirus.
They have been told to stay in their rooms and will be tested for the virus in the coming days.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 13 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.