The Dutch cabinet has acknowledged its partial liability for the death of 350 men and boys during the Srebrenica massacre, following last week’s court hearing.
‘It is a good thing that there is now clarify,’ defence minister Ank Bijleveld said in a short statement. ‘We would once again like to express our condolences to the relatives of the victims. The Srebrenica genocide should never be forgotten.’
Last Friday the Dutch supreme court said Dutch UN troops were wrong to send 350 men and boys out of the Dutch military compound near Srebrenica in 1995 but that the Dutch state is just 10% responsible for their deaths at the hands of Bosnian Serbs.
The ruling was the latest in a string of legal procedures by relatives of the 8,000 men who died during the massacre and who were under the protection of Dutch forces at the time.
The Dutch state will now pay damages to the relatives of the 350 victims, but exactly how much still has to be calculated.
The cabinet will look into this in the coming period, the statement said.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.