Thursday 04 March 2021

Utrecht tram shooting victim dies taking death toll to four

Flowers at the scene of the shooting. Photo: politie.nl

One of the three people seriously injured in last week’s tram shooting in Utrecht has died, taking the death toll to four.

The victim, a 74-year-old man from De Meern, was suffering from ‘indescribable pain’, his son said on Facebook.

‘What this man has had to go through for the past 11 days is terrible,’ the message said. ‘He has had so much pain, it was indescribable. Today we released him from that pain, as difficult as it was for us.’

One woman, a 20-year-old from Utrecht, remains in hospital with serious injuries. A third woman, 21, was released from hospital last week.

Last Friday police said gunman Gökmen Tanis confessed to the shooting and confirmed he had acted alone.

The statement did not say if Tanis, 37, had admitted there was a terrorist motive for his crime, as police believe. Tanis has a history of petty crime and had been released from jail on licence pending a trial for rape less than three weeks before the shooting.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.