Tuesday 14 July 2020

The Netherlands, Russia and Australia meet to talk about MH17

A reconstruction of the wreckage of MH17 by the Dutch Safety Board.

The Netherlands and Australia held talks with Russia about responsibility for the MH17 air disaster earlier this month, foreign minister Stef Blok has told a news conference in Australia.

Blok and his Australian counterpart Marise Payne told reporters that they are doing all they can to get justice for the victims who died when the Malaysian Airways plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine five years ago this July.

Last May, the Netherlands and Australia said they were holding Russia officially responsible for the disaster, in which 298 people died.

Flight MH17 was travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down. The official investigators say the Buk missile which brought down the plane was fired by a weapons system in the hands of a Russian brigade.

Russia has consistently denied any involvement.

Talks have now started, Blok said, adding that the first trilateral talks took place earlier in March.

‘I cannot go into the content of this process because confidentiality is vital here,’ he said. ‘But I can say this. We remain committed to achieving truth, justice and accountability.’

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.