Friday 29 May 2020

Security increased at Dutch mosques in wake of New Zealand bloodbath

Photo: Depositphotos.com

Extra security measures are being taken at mosques in the Netherlands in reaction to the shootings in New Zealand which left at least 49 people dead.

Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema said the steps had been taken ‘on the basis of sensitivities in society rather than concrete threats’. Halsema and the mayors of The Hague and Rotterdam are visiting mosques on Friday afternoon, broadcaster NOS said.

In Utrecht, a police car has been stationed outside the Islamic Cultural Centre which has been closed as a precaution and will only open during afternoon and evening prayers.

Justice minister Ferd Grapperhaus said that the Dutch counter terrorism unit is in constant touch with mosque authorities. ‘We are continuously alert to the risks, both at mosques and at synagogues,’ he said.

The Dutch Council of Moroccan Mosques issued a statement on Friday saying that the murders in New Zealand are a terrible and unprecedented deed.

‘We are hearing a lot of disorientated reactions and some panic,’ spokesman Said Bouharrou said.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.