The prize for the worst, and deeply sexist, slogan of 2018 has been awarded to hipster men’s hairdressing salon Rogier Barbier in Laren for We doen wel vrouwen maar knippen ze niet (We do women but we don’t cut their hair).
It’s not the first time a hairdresser has snapped up the prize. Two years ago salon Local Heroes in Utrecht came up with the feeble Zit je haircut, a play on Zit je haar kut (are you having a bad hair day?).
Rogier Barbier, which describes itself on line as a ‘place where real men get together’ will receive a decorative tile with the slogan printed on it to commemorate the effort.
Most of the clumsy and cheesy slogans rely on rhyming the slogan with a name and are therefore impossible to translate. Here’s the top five:
- We doen wel vrouwen maar knippen ze niet (Barbier Rogier, Laren)
- Ga niet zelf kutte, Bel Ronald Schutte! (Stukadoorsbedrijf Schutte, Dordrecht) (Don’t do it yourself, ring Ronald Schutte.
- Voor ieder reetje een Aarts W.C’tje (Aarts Sanitair Service, Eindhoven) (An Aarts toilet for every backside)
- Met je fiets in de penarie? Bel dan even met Harie (Fietsenmaker Harrie, Posterholt) (In a mess with your bike? ring Harie)
- Theo en Peet, voor al u electriciteet (PC van der Peet, Rijswijk)
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.