Tuesday 11 August 2020

Iran criticises the Netherlands for ‘sheltering terrorists’ after parade attack

An Iranian soldier carries an injured colleague after the attack. Photo: CHINE NOUVELLE/SIPA/1809231130

Iran has criticized the Netherlands, Denmark and Britain for hosting ‘members of the terrorist group’ which it says carried out Saturday’s shooting at a military parade in the south of the country.

The Iranian foreign minister summoned the ambassadors of the Netherlands and Denmark and British charge d’affaires on Saturday evening, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi said.

Qasemi said the Danish and Dutch ambassadors were told that Iran had already warned their respective governments about the presence of the ‘terrorists’ and called for their arrest and trial.

‘It is not acceptable that the European Union does not blacklist members of these terrorist groups as long as they do not perpetrate a crime on the European soil,’ Qasemi is quoted as saying by Iranian state news agency INRA.

The Dutch foreign affairs ministry has confirmed that there was a meeting. ‘We listened to Iran’s reading of the situation and we offered our condolences for the attack,’ the ministry is quoted as saying by broadcaster NOS.

Denial

Gunmen sprayed a crowd with bullets in the city of Ahvaz, killing at least 25 people, including children during the parade. According to Iran, a group called the ‘Arab Struggle Movement for the Liberation of Al-Ahwaz’ carried out the attack.

But the organisation said later on its website that the organization and its military wing do not assume responsibility for the attack on the military parade. The report is  being spread by a ‘suspicious small group’ that claims to be a part of the ASMLA organisation, the website said.

Last November, the leader of the ASMLA was shot dead in The Hague.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.