Three people developed breathing difficulties after the battery of an iPad ‘exploded’ in the Apple store on Amsterdam’s Leidseplein on Saturday, according to Dutch media.
The three, all shop staff, were treated by ambulance workers at the scene and the fire brigade evacuated the building for a short time. Staff at the shop had placed the device in a bucket of sand before their arrival.
Fire officers suspect that the battery began to leak, and then exploded but said no smoke was released. ‘It is likely that a substance was released in the explosion which caused irritation to the lungs and airways,’ a spokesman told broadcaster RTL.
Website 9to5Mac said this is the third evacuation this year of an Apple store due to an exploding battery – the other two were from iPhones.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.