The Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam has sacked chief conductor Daniele Gatti with immediate effect, following last month’s report in the Washington Post in which he was accused of sexual assault in 1996 and 2000.
‘These accusations and Gatti’s reactions in this respect have caused a lot of commotion among both musicians and staff, as well as stakeholders both at home and abroad,’ the orchestra said in a press statement on Thursday.
‘In addition, since the publication of the article in the Washington Post, a number of female colleagues with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra have reported experiences with Gatti, which are inappropriate considering his position as chief conductor,’ the statement said, without going into details.
‘This has irreparably damaged the relationship of trust between the orchestra and the chief conductor,’ the statement said.
All concerts planned with Gatti, who joined the Amsterdam orchestra in 2016, will proceed with other conductors.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.