Hospital accident and emergency departments had treated 434 people with firework injuries during the New Year celebrations, according to research by safety foundation VeiligheidNL.
That is a drop of some 8% on last year and marks a continued downward tendency, the website said. In addition, 700 people were treated by family doctors for minor burns and other injuries picked up during the festivities.
The under 20s accounted for half the hospital victims. Eye specialists treated 108 people, of whom 11 have lost an eye, while plastic surgeons amputated one hand and 16 fingers because of the damage, the research showed.
The Netherlands three specialist burns centres in Groningen, Beverwijk and Rotterdam treated 66 people for burns during the New Year festivities, news agency ANP said on Thursday.
Of them, most were young men and boys aged eight to 25, ANP quoted the Brandwonden foundation as saying.
Pressure is mounting in the Netherlands for a ban on consumer firework sales to reduce the number of firework-related injuries during the New Year festivities.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 13 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.