Tuesday 11 May 2021

Utrecht ‘terrorist’ is not a jihadi but a gamer, lawyer claims

Photo: Depositphotos.com

An 18-year-old youth arrested last week for distributing propaganda for IS has been remanded in custody for two weeks while the investigation continues.

The man was picked up last Thursday in Utrecht on suspicion of spreading IS videos and possibly instructing others on how to make explosives, the public prosecution department said in a statement.

He has not yet been charged with any crimes.

However, the man’s lawyer told the AD that the youth does not speak Arabic and is not a Muslim. The images he has circulated come from computer games and he has photo-shopped IS flags and beards into characters from the games, Louis de Leon said.

‘He has become a bit caught up in the world of online gaming and the networks that spring up around chat rooms,’ De Leon told the paper.

He suggested the youth may have been noticed by the security services after coming into online contact with people who are being tracked.

The arrest was triggered by an AIVD tip-off, the paper said.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.