Tuesday 14 July 2020

Passports of 300 jihadi suspects have been cancelled: anti-terror chief

Some 300 Dutch nationals have had their passports cancelled since autumn 2014, the Dutch counter terrorism chief Dick Schoof told Radio 1 on Wednesday.

Most of those involved had already gone to Syria or Iraq. Now their passports have been cancelled, the authorities will be alerted if they attempt to cross back into the Netherlands or use their travel documents elsewhere.

In addition, the passports of several dozen people who are suspected of planning to travel to IS-held territory have been cancelled. Schoof said he hopes this will prevent them from leaving the country.

So far, some 40 people have come back to the Netherlands after spending time in Iraq and Syria, Schoof said. ‘We are extremely alert to this,’ he said. ‘We don’t know why they have come back. It could be that some regret what they have done, but we won’t take any risks.’

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.