One campus of the British School of the Netherlands in The Hague was evacuated for a time on Tuesday morning because of a bomb threat, according to the AD. The warning appears to have been one of a string of threats across Europe, including Britain, France and Norway.
The Diamanthorst location, one of four BSN campuses in the city, caters to children aged three to 11.
Schools in several other European cities were also evacuated because of bomb threats, including five in Paris, six in Birmingham and four in London, the paper says. According to the Daily Mail, the British school bomb warnings were made by phone.
It is unclear how The Hague school warning was issued.
The British International School of Stavanger was also cleared after its second bomb threat in a week, The Local Norway reported.
‘The buses were redirected and children taken to another location,’ school head Kieren Earley told the AD. Police searched the school and pupils were allowed in at around 11.00 hours. ‘The police are sure it was a hoax,’ he said.
According to the Daily Telegraph ‘a Putin-sympathising Twitter group’ that says it supports the regime of Syria’s Bashar al-Assad has claimed responsibility for the international ‘mayhem’ caused by the British and French school closures.
The account has now been suspended and no link has yet been made to the Dutch school threat. However, British schools in Norway, Sweden and Hungary were closed by bomb threats last week.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.