Sunday 20 June 2021

Carbon monoxide a serious issue with central heating systems

radiator wmcThe Dutch safety research council has launched an investigation into carbon monoxide poisoning due to poorly installed or maintained central heating boilers, following reports that there are far more cases than thought.

A report by television programme Dit is de Dag Onderzoek found that central heating engineers make many mistakes installing central heating systems. Every year over 100 people are affected by carbon monoxide leaks and around 10 people die.

Although carbon monoxide used to be considered an issue with old fashioned water heaters, it is also a problem for more modern central heating systems, the researchers said.

Gas boiler

Last year 83 people were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning due to a poorly installed central heating boiler, compared with 30 people who became ill because of an old-fashioned water heater.

In 2001, 1.7 million households had a simple gas water heater but that has now fallen to 550,000.

Since 2007, anyone has been able to set themselves up as a central heating engineer and there are no formal demands in terms of expertise and experience.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.