Wednesday 10 August 2022

‘Hundreds of Dutch Moroccans involved in gangland killings’ (update)

Hundreds of Dutch Moroccan youths are involved in at least six gangland killings in the Netherlands and Antwerp as well as a string of violent robberies, not just a few dozen as thought earlier, the Volkskrant reports on Thursday.

The group includes drugs dealers, gunmen and ‘facilitators’ who are all linked to each other and live in both the Netherlands and Morocco, the paper quotes Amsterdam detectives as saying.

The paper bases its claims on a police investigation into a string of gangland killings which began in 2012.

The robberies take place in the Netherlands and then the perpetrators move to Morocco which does not deport its nationals, the paper says. The money they earn through their crime spree is also taken out of the country.

Tangiers

Detectives claim between 25% and 33% of the new appartments under construction in Tangiers are funded with criminal proceeds.

Dutch detectives visit Morocco on a weekly basis as part of their investigations and have so far sequestrated property and other possessions totalling some €100m, the paper says.

The public prosecution department has now signed an agreement with the Moroccan authorities to make it easier to prosecute people suspected of crimes in the Netherlands under Moroccan law – with the exception of the death penalty.

Last week, Hamza B, suspected of a double shooting in Amsterdam in December 2012, became the first person to go on trial in Morocco under the new agreement. Two other suspects are being tried in the Netherlands.
The killing is said to be part of a dispute centering on 200 kilos of cocaine.

The public prosecution department issued a statement on Thursday afternoon stating the treaty with Morocco was signed in December 2012 and that the justice ministry not the public prosecutors were responsible.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.