Tuesday 27 July 2021

Defence ministry finalises compensation deal for Srebrenica families

The relatives of three men who died after being expelled from the Dutch military compound in Srebrenica are to be paid €20,000 compensation each, news agency ANP says on Thursday.

The Dutch supreme court said last year the Dutch state can be held responsible for the death of three Muslim men in the siege of Srebrenica during the Yugoslavia war in 1995, clearing the way for compensation.

Interpreter Hasan Nuhanovic and three relatives of electrician Rizo Mustafic said Dutch soldiers serving under the UN flag in the Muslim enclave did not do all they could to protect their relatives from the Bosnian Serb army.

Over 8,000 men and boys were murdered and buried in mass graves when the enclave was overrun.

In total, the compensation deal will cost the defence ministry €80,000.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.