Telecoms giant KPN has offered ‘two million’ apologies to clients who were unable to access their email accounts on Friday and Saturday because of the cyber attack.
The apologies to the former state monopoly’s two million clients were printed in national newspapers.
Last week, KPN admitted it had been subjected to a cyber attack in January and on Friday details of some customer accounts were placed online, including passwords.
It turned out later those details did not come via the hack on KPN but from an online retailer. However, KPN suspended its email services while the leak was investigated.
‘The recent events have had a significant impact on our customers and our organization,’ CEO Eelco Blok said in a reaction. ‘It is too early to make a proper evaluation but after a turbulent weekend we have been able to establish we have done things right and wrong.’
The company has now pledged to speed up its investment in IT systems. Since the hack was made public, a number of IT experts have said KPN’s network is old-fashioned .
KPN issued a profit warning in January due to falling market share. It is also being investigated for possible price fixing on mobile telephony charges.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.