Wednesday 21 April 2021

Rutte refuses new inquiry into Lockheed bribery affair

There will be no new inquiry into the precise role played by prince Bernhard in the Lockheed bribery affair, prime minister Mark Rutte told parliament on Monday evening.


The new inquiry was called for by left-wing liberal D66 party leader Alexander Pechtold who wanted a commission of historians set up to bring clarity to the affair after historian Gerard Aalders said Bernhard’s involvement was greater than so far thought.
The German-born Bernhard van Lippe-Biesterfeld has always been a controversial figure in the Netherlands.
The Lockheed scandal, one of several bribery cases he was involved in, nearly led to the abdication of the then queen Juliana when it broke in 1976. Bernhard had to renounce his military functions in exchange for judicial immunity for taking a $1.1m bribe from Lockheed 15 years earlier. He died in 2004.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.