Transport company bosses in Zuid-Holland province are to press ahead with the introduction of the public transport smart card on February 3, despite new claims about its vulnerability to fraud.
A spokesman for the Connexxion bus firm said the company would go ahead with the switch. ‘The paper ticket can go,’ he told the Telegraaf.
A spokesman for The Hague public transport firm HTM also said the ov-chipkaart would become the only way of paying for buses and trams next week as scheduled.
Earlier this week, it emerged a simple computer programme can be used to allow card users to travel for free.
MPs have called for a debate on the latest attempts to hack the card with the transport minister.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.