Dictionary of Dutchness


A machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf is an authorisation for temporary residence in the Netherlands and is the stamp most non-European Union nationals need in their passport to enter the country for longer than three months. An MVV must be applied for in the country of origin. But the stamp only gets you into the country. You then need to apply for a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning) and probably go through an inburgeringscursus (citizenship course) as well.

All typical untranslatable Dutch words and expressions translated in the Dictionairy of Dutchness
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation