Dictionary of Dutchness


There are two types of degree courses in the Netherlands: the academic-based courses offered by universities and the more vocationally-based courses (HBO or hoger beroepsonderwijs) offered by Hogescholen (colleges and academies). The HBO council prefers the term ‘university of applied science’ to describe hogescholen, while the Dutch international education organisation Nuffic calls them ‘universities of professional education’.

All typical untranslatable Dutch words and expressions translated in the Dictionairy of Dutchness
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation