DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 20 August 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Max Verstappen signs Red Bull extension on eve of Dutch GP

August 20, 2026
Max Verstappen at a press conference in Zandvoort ahead of the final Dutch Grand Prix this weekend. Photo: John Thys/AFP via ANP

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

Four-time Formula One world champion Max Verstappen has signed an extended contract with Red Bull Racing, ending speculation that he could leave the team or quit the sport altogether.

Verstappen, 28, was rumoured to be contemplating a move to rivals McLaren or Mercedes in recent months, but in a press release on Thursday he said he had chosen to stay with the team he saw as a “second family”.

”We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again,” he said. “This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue.”

He dismissed reports he had been in talks behind the scenes about a possible move to McLaren next season. “I was closer to quitting than changing teams,” he said.

The news that Verstappen will keep driving for Red Bull until 2030 will be welcomed by Dutch fans on the eve of the last edition of his home Grand Prix this weekend.

“To make this announcement during the last Grand Prix at Zandvoort is a great moment for me as well,” Verstappen said. “Hopefully we can give the fans a special send-off for the final race.”

Hybrid cars

Verstappen won the first three races after Zandvoort returned to the Formula One calendar in 2021, at a time when he dominated the sport, winning 71 races in 10 years and four consecutive world titles between 2021 and 2024.

This year he is standing sixth in the championship race, 110 points behind leader Kimi Antonelli, and is yet to record a win.

Verstappen has criticised the new hybrid cars introduced this season, that require drivers to save on fuel by recharging the battery during the race, describing them as “not fun to drive” and “anti-racing”.

Earlier this season he took part in the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring in Germany. Verstappen said being able to drive more endurance races in future years was “one of the factors and wishes” that influenced his decision to sign a new deal.

He was also caught up in the tensions within the Red Bull team surrounding the departure of former team boss Christian Horner, who left just over a year ago after being accused of sexually harassing a female colleague.

Horner was twice cleared of wrongdoing, but left with a £52 mln (€60 mln) payout amid accusations by Verstappen’s father, Jos, that he was “driving people apart”. Horner later said Max Verstappen played no role in his departure.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Motor racing Sport
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Prosecutors link three more deaths to drugs sold on internet
Max Verstappen signs Red Bull extension on eve of Dutch GP
Community remembers 17-year-old Lisa, but safety concerns remain
Bruls calls on justice ministry to enforce motorway tractor ban
Unemployment climbs to 4% in June, breaking downward trend
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now