DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 20 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Polish workers suspend strike at distribution centres

July 29, 2025 Zuza Nazaruk
Striking workers last month. Photo: ANP/Hollandse Hoogte/Marcel van den Bergh

A month-long strike by Polish workers at supermarket distribution centres has been suspended, the FNV trade union has confirmed.

More than 300 temporary workers had walked out of Albert Heijn supermarket distribution centres in protest at a new collective labour agreement they say worsens conditions. The FNV is now pausing the action for two to three months to take stock.

The union said its goal remains to force talks with staffing agency associations ABU and NBBU, which signed a contested pay agreement due to take effect on 1 January 2025. The FNV was not involved in that deal and argues it means agency staff will be treated more unfairly.

Talks with the ABU are scheduled for September. In the meantime, the FNV plans to visit other companies employing temporary workers to raise awareness of the problem, including DHL, PostNL and logistics firm GXO.

One immediate result of the strike came from employment agency Otto Workforce, which announced on 16 July that sick leave would be fully paid for up to 26 weeks with no unpaid waiting day. Strikers hailed this as a concrete win.

The decision to suspend the strike followed legal concerns around targeting Albert Heijn over an agreement that affects all agency workers. The FNV also said it faced limited support beyond Polish workers and that there are challenges in scaling up action during the summer holiday period.

Some strikers said they were caught off guard by the sudden halt. Paulina Nietupska, an FNV representative in Tilburg, said they would now work to strengthen networks in other sectors and focus on involving workers with other nationalities, including Bulgarians and Romanians.

Meanwhile, many strikers have reportedly not been given shifts since ending their action, because the staffing agencies have been filling vacancies with new hires. The FNV said it will offer legal help to those now out of work where possible.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Poland Staffing agencies Strikes Supermarkets Work
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Asylum riot arrests reveal scale of outside involvement
Dutch slavery toll five times official figure, book argues
Major Dutch banks reverse crypto policies and back EU stablecoin
Close-up of the front of a Dutch fire engine
Industrial site zoned off after asbestos released in fire
Amsterdam issues 2000 emergency supply kits to poor households
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now