DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 20 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Three men face court for fraud, forgery in €100m face mask deal

November 21, 2024
Photo: DutchNews.nl

Three men who made millions of euros selling face masks to the government during the coronavirus pandemic will face criminal prosecution, the public prosecution department said on Thursday.

Sywert van Lienden and the two other members of the Hulptroepen Alliantie (SHA) face charges of fraud, embezzlement, forgery and money laundering, the  department said in a statement.

The first hearing is scheduled for December 19.

Van Lienden, Bernd Damme and Camille van Gestel earned some €28.5 million between them on the face mask deal, which was brokered using Van Lieden’s government contacts. He was a prominent member of the CDA.

The trio procured 40 million masks at the start of the pandemic in April 2020, ostensibly through a non-profit organisation called Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie. But it later emerged the bulk of the €100 million deal to supply masks to the health ministry had been routed through a limited company, Relief Goods Alliance, of which the trio were shareholders.

Van Lienden had vowed from the start to become ‘screamingly rich’ from the deal, recordings obtained by the Volkskrant newspaper later revealed. Van Lienden himself claims officials were aware the deal was being routed through a limited company.

In a reaction to news of the court case, Van Lieden said on social media that it was now his turn to question witnesses and produce evidence. “At least we can get started,” he said.

The foundation and the Dutch state are also suing the three men to get back the money they earned on the deal.

Other entrepreneurs who successfully used their political contacts to secure lucrative PPE contracts included Ferrari dealer Frits Kroymans, who earned an estimated €35 million from buying medical gowns.

Many of those on the VIP list had little or no experience of importing medical equipment before the pandemic began, according to a report by Deloitte into the contracts.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Business Coronavirus Court cases Health
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Asylum riot arrests reveal scale of outside involvement
Major Dutch banks reverse crypto policies and back EU stablecoin
Close-up of the front of a Dutch fire engine
Industrial site zoned off after asbestos released in fire
Court sends man who spent 41 years in US jail back to prison
Amsterdam issues 2000 emergency supply kits to poor households
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now