Soest town hall forced to close after fire damages building

The town hall was extensively damaged on the interior. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Soest town hall in Utrecht province has been forced to close temporarily after a fire broke out overnight on Tuesday, causing extensive damage.

Fire crews were called to the council office on Raadhuisplein at around midnight and quickly brought the flames under control, but the interior of the building suffered extensive damage.

Mayor Rob Metz said appointments had been cancelled and council staff were working remotely. “The foyer and the area where we handle citizens’ affairs is a large open hall, the smoke has spread through it.

“The fire doors ensured that a large part of the offices were not damaged by smoke. But the aldermen’s offices and the council chamber are unusable,” he told RTV Utrecht.

Metz added that alternative arrangements would be made for emergencies such as people needing a passport to travel at short notice.

The mayor added that it was too early to speculate about the cause. “It could be a build-up of heat, part of the ceiling has come down and the windows have been blown out.

“It’s certainly not a gas leak, because we don’t use gas in this building.”

Thank you for donating to

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation