Spain has released a 35-year-old Tilburg man from jail without charge after arresting him on suspicions of involvement in terrorism almost two months ago.
The man, who has Moroccan roots, was taken from his hotel in Spain at the end of July while on his way to Morocco with his wife for a holiday. Since then he has been held in custody because, the Spanish reportedly say, he is a risk to national security and was on a list banning him from entering the country.
MPs, mayors, lawyers and an aid group were all involved in the campaign to free the man, who was released on Tuesday.
Non-profit agency Muslim Rights Watch Nederland which had threatened legal action against the Dutch state for failing to help the man, says it will press ahead with its civil suit because the state is spreading wrongful information and refusing to rectify it.
The man’s lawyer Samira Sabir said earlier she suspects the man is one of hundreds of Dutch nationals who have been wrongly included on a secret terror list that hit the headlines last month. Justice minister Dilan Yesilgöz has admitted the list exists but says it is up to the victims themselves to have their names removed.
MRWN says dozens of Dutch nationals have been detained in recent months because they are on the secret list.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation