Three climate activists were wrongly banned from the area of the A12 highway ahead of a mass blockade last month but five others were rightly told to stay away, judges in The Hague said on Tuesday.
The three had all called for a blockade but that had not taken place at the time they were banned from the area, the court said. ‘At that moment they had not committed a breach of the peace and the exclusion order in their case cannot remain in place,’ the court said.
Five other Extinction Rebellion activists were rightly banned from the area because they had called for earlier blockades which had happened, the court said.
Extinction Rebellion said it is now going to take the issue to the European Court of Human Rights.
In total, 768 people were arrested during January’s protest on the A12 which closed the road for several hours.
The next blockade, the sixth on the highway by Extinction Rebellion, is scheduled to take place on March 11.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation